New Zealand supermarket Pak’nSave has launched an AI-based chatbot to create recipes, but users have learned to use it to make chlorine gas drinks and poison sandwiches. The Guardian reports.
The Savey Meal bot was launched at the end of July as an application for creative use of leftover food in a difficult economic situation. However, it began to give unexpected results when users began to indicate various household chemicals as ingredients.
One of the recipes, called Aromatic Water Mix, created chlorine gas. Bot recommended it as “the perfect soft drink to quench your thirst and refresh your senses”. Users received no warning that inhaling chlorine gas could cause lung damage or death.
This was noticed by political commentator Liam Hehir, who invited his subscribers to X (formerly Twitter) to experiment with the bot.
In response, he was sent recipes for a Fresh Breath bleach cocktail, ant venom glue sandwiches, mosquito repellant fried potatoes, and Methanol Bliss turpentine-flavoured French toast.
A Pak’nSave representative in a media comment noted that under the terms of the agreement, the bot is not intended for persons under 18 years of age. He also expressed regret that “a small minority attempted to use the tool in an inappropriate way and not for its intended purpose”.
The company intends to continue tweaking the bot controls to make it more secure.
“You should exercise your own judgment before relying on any recipe created by Savey Meal-bot as recipes are not human-tested,” the warning notice states.
Previously, ForkLog reported that scientists have succeeded in generating prohibited content from chatbots, in particular on the topic of creating a bomb, kidnapping a digital identity and stealing charitable funds.
Found a mistake in the text? Select it and press CTRL+ENTER
ForkLog Newsletters: Keep your finger on the pulse of the bitcoin industry!