Russia climbed five positions in the rating of the competitiveness of the leading economies of the international business school IMD and the Moscow school of management Skolkovo. She was ranked 45th out of 64 in 2021. Russia held the same position in 2018–2019.
The improvement of Russia’s position is associated with the development of the financial sector and high technologies, with a decrease in environmental damage and an improvement in the work of the health care system, Izvestia reports. Experts expect that in 2021, the main challenges for Russia will be accelerated economic growth, digitalization, the fight against poverty and inequality, population decline and the development of transport infrastructure.
Ratings of Russia in the following directions:
- tax policy – 16th place,
- development of the scientific base – 24th place,
- employment level – 25th place,
- economic development and state of infrastructure – 38th place,
- government efficiency – 50th place,
- the state of the business environment – 54th place,
- the quality of management of institutions – 56th place,
- social support – 57th place,
- attitudes and values - 58th place,
- productivity and efficiency of the economy – 59th place.
Switzerland became the leader of the rating. Singapore dropped from first to fifth place. Izvestia does not mention any other leaders. India (43rd), Chile (44th), Greece (46th) and Poland (47th) are Russia’s neighbors in the ranking.